CD4 and viral load

I was just recently tested and found to be HIV+. I was tested because I have been sick for some time with moderately high fever, shortness of breath and general fatigue. My shortness of breath is so profound that I am on oxygen 24 hrs a day. I was then diagnosed with PCP and they found CMV involved and said I am slightly anemic. I am also having some spots in my eyesight. I haven't started meds yet, but I expect to this coming week. Now my CD4 count is 90. I don't know what my viral load count is. How important is it that I know my viral load? Should I ask for that information and are there other "counts" of which I should be aware? Jim

Given your CD4 count of 90 and resulting infectious complications of HIV infection, the absolute viral load number is not that important. You need to start treatment regardless of the number. It will be useful though to follow your treatment response.

MH

long term prognosis
Sudden jump in CD4 on no meds