Treatment

I'm on an agressive viral load study that keeps the viral load below 200. I started on the study November 1999 and my viral load stayed below 50 for about 8 months. August 2000 my viral load jumped to over 500. November 2000 my viral load was over 300 and I was kicked off the program. I was taking combivir (AZT/3TC)one tablet twice a day, 250mg nelfinavir 5 tablets 2 times/day, and efavirenz (sustiva) 200gm at 3 tablets at night; however, one of the medications is fake. The guidelines to stay on the program are to switch the medications. Should I switch medications so I can continue to receive free medication. Or stay off the program until my viral load reaches over 1000 on the medication I'm taking.

I would discuss the options with your doctor and the research team. I don't know the particulars of this study. I am not sure you want your viral load to increase over 1000. But I also think you should investigate the options that this study provides versus going to a conventional regimen that does not include a placebo.

MH

VL back after 2 years
Can resistance disappear once you go off the drug?