CD4 Results...Prognosis?

I just found out that my father has AIDS. He believes he was infected 16 years ago. His VL is in the thousands and his CD-4 count is 23. He is wasting considerably, he's gone from 205 lbs to 155 in seven months. He has Hepatitis A and B. I've looked everywhere for a straight answer about what to expect concerning his lifespan but haven't found any real answers. The doctors have bombarded him with meds...he's going to start treatment...I just want to know what to expect. Thank for your help.

From the numbers you describe, he has relatively advanced HIV infection and AIDS. If he has not been treated before, he has a good chance of recovering significant CD4 cells, which will decrease his risk of serious infections. HIV is a very individual infection, so it is difficult to predict longevity. Not starting HIV specific treatment, would result in serious infections and possibly death relatively soon. Starting meds could delay any of these complications for perhaps years.

MH

A different type of Question......
Viral Load