Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load Uncertainty
Oct 10, 2000

I found out I was HIV+ when I was 7 months pregnant. They tested my viral load and it was 332. They convinced me to go on medication even though they said infection to my baby would be low because of the low number load. I agreed in which they put me on combivir and viramune. I stopped the medication when my son was born. A month later my load was tested again and this time my count was 1800. I want to know how could my load shoot up like that and did I put my baby at more risk since the drug aggravated my HIV and made it take revenge by increasing instead of decreasing.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate whether your baby was born HIV positive or negative. I hope the latter. The greatest risk for transmission is felt to be during the peripartum period (the time immediately before and after birth). Hopefully your viral load was suppressed to undetectable levels during your last trimester. It is not uncommon to see the viral load go up after stopping HIV therapy. It would not be unusual for the viral load to go up after the "stress" of pregnancy. Many things can affect the viral load (like other infections or medical issues, medications, recreational drugs, among others).

MH

Previous
ITP
Next
losing CD4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.