Oct 10, 2000
My partner just tested positive after a severe ITP brought him to a hospital. He has been bruising for about six months so I estimated his PT's to be low for a long period of time. Is ITP a manifestation of acute HIV, or is it an OI and indicates disease progression? His first set of labs will be next week
Response from Dr. Holodniy
ITP is an immunologic reaction against ones own platelets, causing a rapid destruction of platelets, enlarged spleen, and possibly bleeding. It can occur in people without HIV infection. Although it probably can occur in acute infection, it is more common in people with chronic more advanced infection.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Itchy Vagina A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Blood In Urine After Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Erectile Dysfunction After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Sex With Sex Worker Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Muscle Ache After Anal Sex Bottom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.