Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

viral load increasing so soon after fantastic baseline results.
Oct 20, 2000

I am a 29yo guy and was diagnosed as HIV indeterminate in March this year, I subsequently fully sero-converted a month later. At the time my t-cell count was increasing to 574 and my viral-load was dropping to below 1000. This was my baseline results when I came back with a fully positive HIV test. Subsequently my doctor was confused my my first viral load test when i was sero-converting as it was 17,000 when it should have been in the several hundred thousands. This resulted in my doctors telling me that my body was coping with the virus & I wouldn't have to look at treatment for at least a Decade. The next test I had in July had my viral load at 9,900 and my t-cells at 503. But to my Horror my latest test 2 weeks ago showed my t-cell count has dropped to 380 and my viral load has increased above 45,300. I just don't understand why the turnaround has happened so fast & so soon after good results. My doctor said that I could have some sort of other infection that is causing this such as my oral health. He has referred me onto a dentist. Could this be correct? i have noticed that my gums aren't too healthy and I have been getting mouth ulcers. I am having another test in a few weeks to determine if a trend is happening and he suggests if this test has advanced further then I will have to consider treatment. He also said that it is possible that if it is due to an infection then once the infection has been healed then my blood results will return to baseline. (ie. t-cells over 500 and viral load below 1000). Is this correct?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not sure I would have come to those conclusions so soon after seroconversion. Usually we wait about 3-6 months after seroconversion to determine what people's viral load "setpoint" is in the absence of treatment. The setpoint is the viral load level where the viral replication is in some equilibrium with CD4 production and destruction. It is not understood why these numbers behave this way. If upon repeat your last numbers are correct, treatment is strongly recommended.

MH

Previous
CD4 counts and PCR TESTING?
Next
NO LUCK

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.