False positive hiv test during pregnancy

Dear doc,

I have just read a response to one of the recent questions in this forum about false antibody hiv test results during pregnancy. I was just wondering what leads to this sort of thing. And could it be possible to have a false antibody hiv test results if one has had an outbreak of shingles in the same way. Thanks for your time.

Pregnancy leads to the formation of all sorts of antibodies, some in excess. Depending on the woman, some of these might cross react with HIV proteins in an HIV antibody test. No, an outbreak of shingles would not affect the HIV test.

MH

tests
GENOTYPE test