RE: CD4 and Viral Load

Thanks Doc. I just called my Dr. to get my white count today. At the last test, it was 3,400.....the one before that it is was above 4,000, and the one before that, it was 3,800...so, it too is fluctuating. The Dr. thinks I may have been fighting something off when I got the last blood test (as a school teacher, I am not surprised)...What I am concerned about is if my CD4's will ever go up, or if I need to resign myself to hovering around 200......any treatment that could help? I have had no opportunistic infections, and the last time I was sick was strep throat in June......so, I seem to be remaining fairly healthy.

Your total WBC is slightly low, which probably accounts for some of the reason your CD4 count is on the lower side. There is the possibility that your count will go up some as a result of HIV treatment. There is not alot one can do other than stay on the meds or possibly use interleukin 2 (IL-2). IL-2 is a t cell growth factor which your body makes. There are several trials ongoing now to determine the long term effectiveness of using exogenous IL-2 to boost CD4 counts. MH

low viral load
Viral load question...