Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
   
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
         
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


CD4 = 127 - should I start treatment or delay?

Oct 31, 2009

Hello, I would much appreciate your specialist opinion on my particular situation: I am a white female of 43 y.o. I have just been diagnosed with HIV and I have a CD4 of 127. I haven't received yet the results of my VL but I expect to be high. I have been infected in 2004 and diagnosed in 2009, so it's been six years while I was not aware of having HIV. This year I started having itchy facial rashes and an enlarged salivary gland, regularly hair loss and this is how I found out. Otherwise I am healthy, just red cell are on the edge at 1200. I was offered by the doctor to start Atripla once a day and Co-trimoxazole once a day until I get my CD4 up to 200. I am taking the Co-trimoxazole but I am thinking of delaying to take the Atripla for two months and try to build up my immunity with the herbal supplement Astragalus, vitamins and herbal products. Can I safely try and do this or am I at risk of cancers and infections if I don't start taking Atripla immediately? Why can't immunity be built up without Antiretrovirals? If I start taking the meds now at CD4 = 127 or later, let's say at CD4 = 50 worse scenario, what will be the difference in terms of my prospects of recovery? Thanks very much for your help. A quick answer would be much appreciated as I'm not quite ready to die yet, just like this...God bless you!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You need to start the HIV meds immediately. DO NOT delay and I would not rely on herbals to increase your CD4 count or immune system function. There is a huge loss of immune system function if you wait until your CD4 count reaches 50, and you are already at significant risk for opportunistic infections now, which would only be magnified. There is no reason to delay and Atripla is a good choice.



Previous
HEPA B PROFILE RESULT
Next
re jump in CD4 count

  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS


 
Advertisement



Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint

Advertisement