Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

General worries over our mutual likening for unsafe sex within our relationship

we are hiv+ male couple, pssibly infected by each other may'be not. Wea have unsafe sex 1 or 2 times a week, Are we being irresponsible, and doing harm to each other, we ahve similar CD4 counts 500-600, and similar viral load 60,000's conistently in 12 week bloods. We both have fairly good health, my partner does have oral health problems with gingivitis and decay and thrush/swollen tongue once or twice a year. He also suffers from testicle/groin pain. He claims that one testicle is decreasing in size, but I do not notice that in that in the 15 months that we have been together. He is stressed at the moment and has a shingle like eruption on his right buttock. I am getting concerned that I might be hastening his decline by our unsafe sex, he is receptiive. and we are monogamous.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your partner's problems are more likely to be due to HIV disease progression than to your mutually unsafe sex. Experts have speculated that partners can give one anpother their unique strain of HIV, but this has not been proven. Theeoretically, unsafe sex would be riskier if one or both of you were both being treated for your HIV and still had detectable virus that might be resistant.

diarrhea
Exposed to TB and HIV