Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Hi, I have chronic diarrhea and soft stools, I cant remember the last time I had a solid stool. I am not losing weight or experiencing cramps. I am not on meds and have no other symptoms, I am otherwise extremely healthy. Is this a common finding in HIV+ individuals and what can I do? Thanks so much.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Diarrhea is a very common problem in HIV+s. It can be related the medications (which you are not taking) for HIV, HIV itself, or some other kind of intestinal infection. It can also be caused by conditions completely unrelated to HIV, such as irritable bowel syndrome and lactose intolerance (inability to digest foods containing milk). To find out what is causing this, you need to be evaluated by a physician. Good luck!

stomach and side discomfort
General worries over our mutual likening for unsafe sex within our relationship