Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

pcp

Dr. Feinberg

My wife for probably the last month or two has had a slight dry cough every once in a while. She does not have a fever but does get a little short of breath when running around she does not complain about any chest pain or tightening of the chest. She has had no exposure to hiv with the exeption with me and my only exposure was 4 years ago but after talking to my doctor and the cdc they told me that I did not need testing because it was an "extremely low risk" and people dont get infected that way they said it was "theoretical" and it just doesnt happen. I was fine with this advise until my now wife has this cough wich she blames on allergies. 1. would pcp show up within 4 years of being infected assuming cdc and doctor was wrong about my risk? 2. Does a fever accompany these symptoms? 3. If this was pcp shouldnt it be getting worse or does it sometimes just stay the same?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

PCP would be pretty unusual after 4 years; fever is common; eventually, the PCP progresses, with increasing shortness of breath.

Thrush?
Ongoing tests?