Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pcp
Dec 13, 2001

Dr. Feinberg

My wife for probably the last month or two has had a slight dry cough every once in a while. She does not have a fever but does get a little short of breath when running around she does not complain about any chest pain or tightening of the chest. She has had no exposure to hiv with the exeption with me and my only exposure was 4 years ago but after talking to my doctor and the cdc they told me that I did not need testing because it was an "extremely low risk" and people dont get infected that way they said it was "theoretical" and it just doesnt happen. I was fine with this advise until my now wife has this cough wich she blames on allergies. 1. would pcp show up within 4 years of being infected assuming cdc and doctor was wrong about my risk? 2. Does a fever accompany these symptoms? 3. If this was pcp shouldnt it be getting worse or does it sometimes just stay the same?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

PCP would be pretty unusual after 4 years; fever is common; eventually, the PCP progresses, with increasing shortness of breath.

Previous
Thrush?
Next
Ongoing tests?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.