Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Thrush?

Dr. Feinberg,

In a recent post you told a person to relax because thrush was not bumps on the tongue, but rather a white coating which can be easily sraped off. I am concerned because recently I've noticed a white coating towards the back of my tongue. It is also on the sides towards the back...it is not very thick, yet when I scrape I can pull off material. Is this thrush or just plaque build-up? My PCP told me it was normal and if it were thrush it would be everywhere...please help!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I gave the textbook description of what typical thrush looks like. I don't know what you have, since I can't see it. If you are still concerned and your doctor didn't look at it, then perhaps a visit would bring you peace of mind. Your throat can also be cultured for thrush (Candida).

Shingles and HIV
pcp