Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Examination

Dear Doctor, I would like to hear your opinion in regard to my doctors visits every 3 month. I am a 46 year old male hiv+ for 3 years and on successful treatment with viracept and combivir (920Tc and undetectable <50) I do have some side effects like Lypo and tingling in some fingers and toes but learned to live with it and accept it. I switched clinic after 1 year of treatment to another clinic. I was treated at that time by a male doctor and he was very detailed in his exams. He always looked in my mouth, was listening to my lungs and made an anal exam. Probably checking the prostata for enlargment.?? My new doctor for the last 2 years who happens to be a female has never done anything more than checking my blood pressure and of course go with me through the lab results. I am reluctant to tell her what to do and was just wondering if that's ok not to check anything else at my age. I also have lost about 10lbs from 180lbs to 170lbs in the last 2 months and I am always concerned about cancer since that has been very common in my family background. Your opinion on these would be very much appreciated. Sincerely,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

In my opinion you need a doctor who will do more than interpret you lab yesy results for you. I suggest that you find another HIV doctor like the second one you had. Unexplained weight loss in an HIV+ person needs to be evaluated. Good luck!

esophageal candidiasis
Giordi & neuropathy