Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Help Me! Was I infected with MAC?

I just found out that my mother-in-law was diagnosed with Mac a form of tb. I am trying to find out as much info as possible. Can you tell me in english, what this disease is and if I may have been infected? My sister-in-law insists that it is not contagoious, but she is very ignorant when it comes to these things. Can you help?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

MAC is a germ commonly found in the environment (soil, water) that can cause infection in damaged tissue, such as the lungs of people who are smokers, or in people with damaged immune systems, such as those with AIDS. This time your sister-in-law is right: it's not contagious from person to person, but is picked up from the environment.

caseous granulomatous inflammation
Seborrheic Dermatitis: Common in early asymptomatic HIV infection?