Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help Me! Was I infected with MAC?
Dec 10, 2001

I just found out that my mother-in-law was diagnosed with Mac a form of tb. I am trying to find out as much info as possible. Can you tell me in english, what this disease is and if I may have been infected? My sister-in-law insists that it is not contagoious, but she is very ignorant when it comes to these things. Can you help?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

MAC is a germ commonly found in the environment (soil, water) that can cause infection in damaged tissue, such as the lungs of people who are smokers, or in people with damaged immune systems, such as those with AIDS. This time your sister-in-law is right: it's not contagious from person to person, but is picked up from the environment.

Previous
caseous granulomatous inflammation
Next
Seborrheic Dermatitis: Common in early asymptomatic HIV infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.