Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thrush and its diagnosis
Dec 3, 2001

Dr Judith,

I had a red spot on my tongue and went to the docotr to check it up. It looked like a small protursion onthe tipo of my tongue. I was worried that this might be thrush.

The doctor told me that this was not the way that thrush would manifest itself. She said that as a prophylactic treatment she would give me Pimafucin. She asked me to apply a few drops on the spot twice a day and come back after 3 days. I went back after three days (spot was gone in 2 days). She took a swab and scraped it against the area and sent it to the lab to make sure that it was not thrush.

Results came back negative for any fungus or bacteria. She said that it was not thrush 100 and that it may have been me biting my tongue accidentally.

Is this a correct approach and diagnosis?

Thanks for the response.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Yes. It certainly didn't sound like thrush to me, either.

Previous
Testing at 1 year?
Next
Top three Opportunistic infections

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.