Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

How CD4 and Total Lymphocyte Count are correlated?

How CD4 and Total Lymphocyte Count are correlated? Can some one have a good Total Lymphocyte Count and very low CD4?

Is this journal (QMJ - Quarterly journal of medicine, I think, it stands for) any trustworthy?

CD4 counts are sometimes difficult to get and are expensive. Is there anything else I can use to approximate it? The total lymphocyte count can be used to approximate the CD4 count. The total lymphocyte count of <1250 approximates the CD4 count of <200 (the point at which one initiates bactrim prophylaxis with HIV positive patient. In addition, if there are symptoms or signs categorising a patient as World Health Organisation (WHO) Stage 3 or Stage 4, then prophylaxis is also warranted, even if the total lymphocyte count is not available. QJM. 1996. July 89(7) 505-8 Post, Wood, Maartens.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

CD4 cells are just one of several types of lymphocytes. The correlation between CD4 cell counts and total lymphocytes is therefore loose, but it would be highly unlikely to have a very low CD4 ceeell count and a normal total lympjocyte count.

purplish growth under my skin
RE: Nurse in Thailand