Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

phuemonia

IN SEPT. OF 2000 WAS THE FIRST TIME I HAD PHUEMONIA. IN OCT OF 2001 I FOUND OUT I WAS HIV+ .THE DOCTORS BELEIVE THAT IN SEPT. WAS THE TIME WHEN I CONVERTED CAUSE I NEVER HAVE BEEN SICK BEFORE THAT. SINCE THAT TIME I HAVE BEEN HOSPITALIZED FOR DOUBLE PHUEMONIA 2X AND BRONC. ABOUT 6X. MY QUESTION IS THIS GOING TO GET WORSE AS I PROGRESS AND WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP GETTING THIS CAUSE THEY SAY EVERYTIME I GET THIS IT DAMAGES MY LUNGS MORE. WHAT CAN I DO???

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Absolutely the best thing you can do is to start on an effective combination of HIV medsss so your immune system can toughen up. And if you're a smoker, then quit-- smoking really increases your risk for respiratory infections. Good luck!

severe pain due to fluid around lung/pneumonia
HPV Question