Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

kaposi sarcoma

I have had lesions for a year and but was not diagnosed with KS until this past August due to the medical oversight of an ill-experienced MD...Today I visited a doctor who said I should start Chemotherapy immediately....I'm HIV positive and began taking Combivir and Sustiva about 6 weeks ago...the doctor said this might remedy the problem..but a second opinion stated that i should takechemo immediately...Please tell me what route to take?The lesions cover areas on my back, neck, and face..What kind of treatment should i expect - and how effective? Will I be able to rid myself of this or will it be dormant indefinitely?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is possible that if you have a good T cell response to your HIV medicines that the KS may regress on its own, so my advice would be to wait until you have been on therapy for at least 4 months before you decide chemotherapy is necessary. If the KS resolves just with anti-HIV treatment, then it is likely to remain dormant as long as you are doing well on your medicine. I think both your regular doctor and the one who told you to start chemo immediately sound inexperienced (or at least, not up to date as they could be). It is really important for you to have a doctor who is an expert in HIV/AIDS, so I hope you can find one in your area. One source of information about places to get treatment for HIV in the US is the Centers for Disease Control. There are also 2 professional organizations of experienced HIV doctors, and both have websites. They are called the American Academy of HIV Medicine and the HIV Medical Association. Good luck!

cmv
Vaginal Yeast