Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

cmv

I'm 39 to 40 weeks pregnant and a CMV lab was drawn because I came down with a cold and had a high fever. I don't have HIV or any type of STD so how is this possible. I was told that I have to have a CMV consult because something could be wrong with my unborn child due to this. Please make some since out of this for me.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It all depends on whether you have new, acute CMV infection (the positive test would be a "CMV IgM")or whether they found evidence of old prior infection (positive "CMV IgG"). The former would carry a risk of also infecting the baby, but the latter is just a matter of history and carries no danger to your unborn child.

Small Pox Vaccination and HIV
kaposi sarcoma