Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

New regime and PCP???

I am very allergic to Bactrim and Dapsone. I have been on Aerosolized Pentamidine for 5 years. I am about to add Retinovir to my Crixivan/Combivir regime at the suggestion of my ID consultant. My CD4 has been 350. My T helper cells are about 20%. Viral load has been undetectable for 5 years. We are discussing discontinuing my AP treatments. I have had PCP 5 years ago with CD4 count of 12. I am frankly afraid of the PCP. I am doing generally fairly well for someone infected for 17 years at age 51. Is there a major risk here?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You can safely discontinue your AP prophylaxis treatments. With a total CD4 cell count of 350 and an undetectable viral load, your risk for recurrent PCP is close to zero. If, in the future your CD4 cells decline for some reason and are once again close to or below 200, then it would be reasonable to restart the AP. Don't worry, and celebrate every month when you would have gone for your AP treatment!

HPV and Abnormal Pap
Scalp problems