The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cryptosporidium.. medical & alternative treatment suggestions
Oct 26, 2001

I have had cryptosporidium in my intestines since 2/01 & have lost @50 pounds. T-cell count less than 50. Standard drugs (azithromycin & Paromycin) have not helped. Have tried several "alternative" ideas ie herbs & garlic to fight parasite. Any other ideas, drug trials etc. I need to stop loosing weight immediately... Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I wish I could give you more encouragement, but I'm not aware of anything either on the marklet or in testing that will treat cryptosporidiosis. You can double-check on this by contacting the federal government's clinical trials hotline (1-800-TRIALS-A) or their website (HIVATIS).

Since there is nothing specific for treating cryptosporidiosis, the best thing you can do is to strengthen your immune system; people who have had T cell improvements from combination HIV therapy have been reported to have remissions from their cryptosporidiosis. If you have been through quite a few HIV medicines already, then ask your doctor for a resistance test so that the best possible combination can be selected for you. There is a new drug called tenofovir (one pill once a day), which should be on the market within the next week or so, and other promising new HIV drugs are also coming along, such as T-20. If your doctor isn't knowledgeable about how to use resistance testing, then ask for a referral to an expert who can help you. Good luck!

Okay to visit sick patient?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint