Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

thrush, oral amphotericin?

I just had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I could see an area deep inside with significant thrush (I also heard the doctor say that was what it was). I've been on IV amphotericinB in the past, for 9 months, and never want to see that drug again. Is there an oral version of the drug available or in trials? What else could I use? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There was a manufacturer's version of oral amphotericin, but the manufacturer has stopped making it. However, your local oharmacist can make up an oral solution for you. My pharmacist has concocted a version of amphotericin mixed with flavored jello, so it masks the taste and feels nice and cool going down. If you have your pharmacist send me an email, I will ask my pharmacist for her 'recipe'.

PN & Muscle Erosion
infections from fleas