Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Folliculitis/lice? Told it was eczema
Aug 16, 2000

I have to smile every time you say:" See your doctor for correct diagnosis and treatment." I woke up 6 months ago with 15 lumps, the size of a quarter on my left upper thigh. I went immediately to the local hospital who said "we don't know what it is." PERIOD! No diagnosis, no prognosis. No tests. No medicine. I then went to my G.P. who said," he would take a sample and send it to the lab, if i would come back the next week, because altho i had an appoint., he had a lunch date and could not see me.

I quickly showed him my leg.When I phoned to arrange for an appoint,for the following week, the sec. informed me that there was a note in the computer stating that the doctor did NOT want to se me anymore in his office. To go to the emergency clinic. I did. They took a sample . I phoned for the results and they said:"Everything is O.K." I, then went to see a dermatologist who LOOKED ONLY, at my leg and said,"Stop scratching!" It hurts too much to scratch. Gave me a little useless cream. Now, 6 months later (using the cream) I HAVE 64 SUCH LUMPS, itchy, scratchy, red with little white seed-like things inside. And the other leg is also infected. I do not know what to do. This all started, I believe with a lice infestation at our school where I taught. I have since quit, and moved. I think this has something to do with the lice because when I apply Kwell, I have relief for awhile.

This is not my first outbreak but it is the WORST. Any response would be helpful. THANKS!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Well, my standard answer about seeing a doctor for correct diagnosis and treatment is premised on the fact that that doctor is both approachable and capable. Unfortunately, in your case it sounds like the doctors you saw were neither. In fairness to doctors in general, the real-world practice of medicine is not like TV, and sometimes it takes a while and several different doctors to get the right answer.

It is not really possible to diagnose skin diseases without seeing them, so I won't presume to guess at what your problem really is. It is possible, of course, that the dermatologist's diagnosis was right -- and chronic eczema can become infected if it's scratched -- even if the prescription didn't work well. So I suggest that you look for another dermatologist -- ask around and try to find one that's got a reputation for being personable as well as competent -- and try to trust that person's judgment. Good luck!

Previous
quinidine and HIV
Next
Thrush,million plus viral load, Tcell 4 ??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.