Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Reached the end

Howdy Doc,

I think I have now reached my finish line, but I want to give it one more try. I don't want to just die without a fight. The ringing in my ears has reached high volumes and sleep is now far-fetched, why? My whole liver is eaten up by HBV. I have been HIV + for some 9 years now and I'm on the waiting list for clinical trials at the University of Washington. I have never used any drugs other than vitamins and pain killers (Advil & Tylenol). From the exterior I look pretty ok, weighting 240, this has also baffled my Doc. He says I'm pretty bad inside and I feel it, too. Are you able to expedite my clinical trial bid? Please keep on the good work for so many... And bravo to the Internet!!! Departing soul.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is unfortunate, but possible, to die from liver disease caused by hepatitis B or C before HIV disiease reaches an advanced stage. But I wouldn't at all give up at this point -- you have never even been treated for your HIV and it sounds like you haven't been treated for your hepatitis either. I'm not sure why you want to wait to get into a clinical trial if your whole liver is "eaten up by HBV", since most studies have restrictions on how bad your liver function can be. I suggest you see a hepatitis specialist as soon as possible to find out exactly how far gone your HBV disease is, and even if you have cirrhosis you might want to take a try at treatment for HBV. I also suggest you see an HIV specialist ASAP and get started on combination therapy for HIV. I think it would be foolish and sad if you died without even trying to do something about your problems. Good luck!

Stages of AIDS
HIV + WITH UNDER-ACTIVE THYROID & HYPOGLYCEMIA