For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Stages of AIDS

My cousin has AIDS and was infected when he was 17,six years later he now feels the harsh affect. A couple of weeks ago he lost his sight.I know it sounds stupid, but it never occurred to me just how deadly this virus is. How scary it must be to just loose your sight after 23 years. He's now at a home, 86lbs.,weak,sleepy,and just taking one day at a time. So, what are the stages of this disease?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I'm not clear about what exactly you are asking. If you want to know what's likely to happen next to your cousin, unless he gets combination medicines for his HIV, he will probably continue to lose more weight and get progressively weaker. Other end-stage opportunistic infections (like the CMV that probably took his sight away) may occur, and these may be fatal. Please try to find out if he has received appropriate medication for his HIV -- I'm concerned that he isn't getting optimal treatment because it is unusual in the current era to lose your sight from AIDS.

Giving the virus a virus
Reached the end