Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Giving the virus a virus

Maybe I am 20 years late with this question, as it has probably already been tried, but here goes:

Is is possible that we could isolate an enzyme, that would alter the DNA of the aids particles, to the extent that the alteration would either inhibit the virus' ability to "fool" the immune system, and/or create even a slight variation, to which the infected immune cell would react and destroy? Or perhaps an enzyme that would alter the receptor factors within the immune sys. cells and/or the virus particles? Yes, this is a serious question, and I am afraid that I have been like millions of Americans, who have just simply closed our eyes and held our breath until science saved the day on this disease. only recently have I even become interested in how the virus works, etc., and scientific achievements in this area. I have recently started volunteering my time to an AIDS Hospice. Thank You.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Researchers are working on substances that block the receptor sites for the virus on immune system cells, so you are right on track about that. I don't think the concept of "infecting" HIV with another virus is a viable approach.

TB
Stages of AIDS