Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My best friend is very sick
Aug 16, 2000

Hi. My name is ... from Montreal/Quebec. My friend is in hospital since 3 weeks. He never was sick and didn't know he was Hiv+. We just find out. He's been in a coma 10 days and now is in half a coma. His t-cells are at 11 and he has toxoplasmosis in the brain + cmw (they don't know where). The doctors are giving septra+azt+3tc+a drug with the name acid in it and other stuff...He had around 15 minor brain lesions. It's very hard to talk to the doctors here. In a case like this have you ever seen a patient get better? I'm not asking a wish of hope here. Just the reality. I know he's very sick...we have to wait...but what do you think? Sorry my English because i'm french. It's wonderful to see a doctor taking time to be human and talk to people. Felitation vous faites un travail merveilleux.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

For toxoplasmosis, the usual medicines are pyrimethamine + sulfa, and for CMV, ganciclovir or foscarnet are typically used. If your friend is being treated appropriately for toxo, then the Septra isn't needed (it's used to prevent another complication called PCP, but the toxo medicine will also provide protection against this kind of pneumonia). It sounds like he is getting combination medicine for his HIV -- that's the AZT, 3TC and a third drug that should be a protease inhibitor. Fortunate patients can recover from toxoplasmosis, and the fact that his coma is lighter is a hopeful sign, although the fact that he was in a coma means that he has very severe toxo. And your English is pretty good -- it's no doubt better than my French! Merci beaucoup pour vos compliments, and I wish you and your friend the best of luck in this tough situation!

Previous
CMV, EBV and Toxoplasma can lower the CD4 Count?
Next
love

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.