Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cystic fibrosis, cepacia, human parvo virus and now aspergillus
Aug 16, 2000

Hi Dr Feinberg.. My almost 10 year old has been relatively well until this last 8 weeks ...he now cultures cepacia ...not thought to be seen before and sent off to Vancouver for genomevar identification ... whilst/since on 3 weeks of IV's he has now cultured aspergillus and has apparently contracted human parvo virus ...his blood work shows his white cells have come back up to normal limits but his red cells are a little low .344 and his platelets a little high 431 I think from memory ... he has not bounced back at all and is still pasty faced and tired looking ... do you think any of this is related or just coincidence and should we be doing something about it or as our Dr says " we tend NOT to make a big deal of parvo over here" and just see what happens???...my head is spinning and I am aghast at what seems to be unfolding before my eyes ... Thanks for listening...

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Parvovirus can be treated with infusions of immune globulin, which can be expensive, but in a child with chronic disease I personally would be inclined to treat it. "Cepacia" is just another kind os Pseudomonas with which you are probably already familiar if your son has CF and is 10 years old; it can be hard to treat. Aspergillus is a mold that can colonize diseased areas of the body -- meaning that it isn't invading and causing active disease -- but the risk factors for invasive aspergillosis, which is a very serious complication, are low white blood cells and extensive use of broad-spectrum antibiotics, like the ones that are used to treat Pseudomonas infections. You need to find out whether the Aspergillus is thought to be colonizing your son's lungs or whether there is evidence of active infection. An evaluation for that would typically include a CT of the chest and a biopsy of lung tissue. Good luck!

Previous
Spots on chest
Next
Interferon B

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.