Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

E-coli and HIV?

First, I must say that your site has been hands down the most helpful in finding info on OI. A friend has had 3 months of perpetual pain in her abdominal area as well as a huge ulcer diagnosed. Her blood work (Regular stuff) was normal. At her insistence she received an ultrasound of her kidneys. They discovered high levels of E. coli infection. She was treated with antibiotics. She is still very lethargic and had maintained a low grade fever for the past 5 months. Her dr is saying that she is medically sound. Is or can E. coli be considered as an OI? What other possibilities should my friend explore with her dr?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

E. coli is a germ, not a disease and not an OI, because it causes infection in people whose immune systems are normal. E. coli has to be cultured (grown) to know that it is the cause of an infection -- it can't be determined by an ultrasound so I think some part of the story is confused here. Continuing symptoms and low-grade fever may indicate that there is residual infection (an abscess) or it may be due to something else entirely. If your friend cannot get satisfaction from her regular doctor, I suggest that she consult with an infectious diseases specialist.

lymph nodes all over my neck
m.chelonae in Aids pt. s/p RIPE