Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

A new (fatal?) wrinkle

My doctor has taken me off all HIV drugs, because he suspects mitochondrial lactosis. All I'm reading about this scares me to death -- what can I do?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know why he suspects that -- did you have an abnormally high lactate level, or are you sick? Not too much is known about lactic acidosis in HIV+s yet, although it appears to be associated with other problems like fatty liver and abnormal liver function. Question your doctor about the basis for his concern before you get too worked up over it, and try to relax in the meantime. It is certainly possible that whatever abnormalities he has noticed may correct themselves. Good luck!

Teenage patients
AVN