Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

DOXIL TREATMENTS

I HAVE BEEN POSITIVE FOR 13YRS, THE ONLY PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD IS K.S. IN MAINLY MY LOWER EXTREMITIES WHICH LEAVES MY LEG AND FEET SWOLLEN AND MY FEET GET SCABS AND SORES. I HAVE BEEN DOING DOXIL TREATMENTS FOR AWHILE BUT IT JUST BARELY TOUCHES MY K.S.MY VIRAL LOAD IS 3000AND MY CD4 IS 374 AND I AM NOT ON ANY COMBINATION DRUGS AND I NEVER HAVE BEEN. ARE THERE ANY TREATMENTS ON THE HORIZON WHICH I SHOULD LOOK OUT FOR?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I have had some success with daunoxome as a single agent, and there is also a topical retinoic acid gel that has been approved for KS. But I think you're selling yourself short -- one of the best possible things you can do for yourself is to use combination antiHIV therapy, in addition to antiKS therapy. Some patients have had their KS regress just on combination antiretrovirals alone.

Thank You
Recurring cryptococcal meningitis