Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

BACTRIM, WHEN SAFE TO STOP?

I have been on bactrim since 4/99 when I was first diagnosed. at that time my VL was 400,000, and my t-cells were 12. I was given the vaccination for PCP, and a flu shot. since 6/99 my VL has been undetectable and my t-cells are now 200 and on the rise. my question is, is it safe to stop taking the bactrim now? I'm seeing my dr. soon and want to ask her. what's your opinion?

thanks,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If your T cells have been above 200 for at least 3 months (some doctors want to see it like that for at least 6 months) and your viral load is well-controlled, then the evidence suggests that stopping preventive therapy for PCP -- whether it's Bactrim or another drug -- is safe.

restart meds worried about lactic acidosis
HPV Treatment