Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

kidney problem
Sep 8, 2000

I have been pos for at least 10 years, with no meds. Recently my doctor ran tests and found I was losing large amounts of protein through my urine. He has been trying to get me to start meds for quite some time. I have resisted because I don't feel sick. Now he says it's time. I really don't want any drugs, but I'm wondering if we can treat this kidney thing apart from lifelong daily meds. I must say that my cell count is 243 and my viral load is close to 200,000!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like you have HIV-associated nephropathy (HIVAN), which can progress fairly rapidly (within months sometimes) to complete kidney failure. No one knows exactly what causes HIVAN, but HIV has been identified in kidney tissue called the mesangium, which is a critical area for normal kidney function. It is time for you to get off your I-don't-want-any-medicine high horse and listen to your doctor. If you're lucky, and your HIVAN responds to antiHIV therapy, then you'll avoid dialysis. Do not waste any time smelling the flowers, readjust your attitude and start medication soon if you don't want to spend 3 days a week hooked up to a hemodialysis machine. (And a viral load of almost 200,000 is pretty high, and T cells of near 200 is fast approaching the danger zone for all other bad HIV-related illnesses.)

Previous
heart
Next
PCP - NON COMPLIANCE WITH MEDICATION

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.