Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

psoriatic arthritis and HIV

Have a family history of PA. Had some minor outbreaks before I was positive. Have been undetectable for 5 years on the same combination (fortavase & Combivir ) No side effects, T-cells hovering in the 500 to 600 range. Over the past 2 years PA outbreaks have become severe. Since both are auto-immune problems effecting t-cells and the like, has there been any research on how one may effect the other. I know HIV patients can develop PA as a result of being positive. Any help would be greatly welcomed thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

HIV and PA are both diseases that involve the immune system, but they do so in largely opposite ways.

Psoriasis is indeed reasonably common among HIV+s, but I have yet to see a case of psoriatic arthritis. PA is likely to be active when your immune system is working its best, not when it's working its worst, so it makes sense to me that your PA is acting up now that your immune system is doing so well. We see similar things in HIV+s who have other inflammatory diseases (such as hepatitis B), whose symptoms worsen after their immune systems have improved.

Does Kaposi Sarcoma develop a scar?
Just need to say this