For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

White spots

I was diagnosed with AIDS 12 months ago (PCP, CD4=49), after receiving HAART (Retrovir + Epivir + Efavirenz) VL has gone down to <50 and CD4 is up to 280. However, lately I have discovered 15 small white "spots" 1-3mm in diameter on my arm and back. It seems like the pigmentation has disappeared in those places. I have another 2.5 months till my next visit to my doctor so I wonder if this could have anything to do with HIV/AIDS.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like you may have a fungal dermatitis, which is common in HIV+s and HIV-s alike. If it is, the condition is readily treated with topical medicine.

Frequent swellings in armpits, which bring high fever
flu shots dangerous?