Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Urinary tract infection, help!

Dear doctor, first of all, a million thanks for giving us this forum.-- I became + in January 99. My VL has been between 100 to 800. My T-cells have alway been around 520. My last test (August 14th) VL 1000 and t-cells down to 440. Two days prior to my test I notice puss coming out of my penis. The doctor at the clinic said that I had a urinary tract infection and gave some pills(antibiotics) to take for 7 days.. A week later I went back, no puss, but still had a bit of pain. She did a smear and said that it was all gone. A week later puss again. I went back and she said to drink plenty of water and it will go away. My thoughts, I think that having this infection is pulling my immune system down. I had this infection since the 11th of August (4 weeks) I think that I should be taking something to help me fight the infection. I greatly appreciate your feedback. Just in case, I am not on medication yet. Thanks for all your help..

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are a number of possible explanations. Your problem may not be due a urinary tract infection, it may be a sexually transmitted disease. Or, it may be a urinary infection but you were given the wrong antibiotic. If you don't have access to another doctor, then go back and see if the doctor will take a culture of the pus to identify the germ that is causing this.

sporadic diarrhea and bloating
Frequent swellings in armpits, which bring high fever