Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

too many cats?

Just read your response to the person asking about toxo and cats. You said usually only kittens harbor toxo. I love a certain type of purebred cat and am considering breeding and showing them. This means I would be around a lot of kittens. The breeders I am considering buying two kittens (to start) from have only prize-winning lines, do not let their cats outside and are very responsible with veterinary care. Is this a terrible idea for me as I am HIV positive, Tcells 420, percentage 23; at the lowest, T cells were 189? I was tested for toxo (antibodies?) about a year ago and the test was negative. Is there any way I can work around the HIV problem and still pursue my dream? Would the litter box precautions you describe be enough? My husband (HIV positive also, 900 T cells) and I already have one 10 year old cat who does not go outside. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The precautions I described should be sufficient to protect you and your husband. Just to make sure, you can have your doctor retest you for toxo at intervals.

KS
initial dx of AIDS after PCP and esophogitis; what next