Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Resistance to Thrush meds

I have been having problems with my thrush meds, have become resistant to all of them, am taking a study drug, SCH56592, and that one is not doing so well any more. my doctor has suggested that I go on the new study drug ABT. If I do this I have to stop the SCH drug due to interactions, I am afraid that if the ABT doesn't work, I will have the same problem with resistance if I try to go back onto the SCH drug.

Also, do you know of any other options? other than an occasional flare up of herpes, have not had problems with other oi;exception CMV and non-hodgkins lymphoma (4 years remission)

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like you have been taking posaconazole, the investigational drug from Schering. I have had good responses to painting the thrush with a readily available biological dye called 1% gentian violet -- this is done for 3-5 days in a row, and have also had success with oral amphotericin B that is mixed with jello to form a semisolid gel that is easy to swallow.

There are no interaction data that I know of for posaconazole and the new Abbott protease inhibitor, lopinavir/ritonavir, which was just released on the market as Kaletra. Your physician could contact both companies for their best guess -- some azoles, such as fluconazole, have less potential for interactions than others.

Immune Reconstitution
scarring on the lungs