Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Immune Reconstitution

This year my T cells are 14 year high (600) and the viral load has been undetectable for over two years. However I am starting to get frequent bacterial infection. (pneumonia/flu, staph which required two weeks of intravenous antibiotics and currently prostatitis.) My doctors assure me that this is not serious and my immune system is so healthy it goes looking for something to fight. Is this happening in other people?

Where can I learn more about this and how to prevent it?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

What you're describing isn't what people are calling "Immune reconstitution" syndromes. Even HIV- people get pneumonia and prostatitis -- you are simply experiencing what most everyone else does sooner or later. I know of no way to prevent routine illnesses that are common in the population. Be grateful that these aren't OIs -- overall, it sounds like you are doing very well.

Living with an HIV and Hepatitis B Pos itive Person
Resistance to Thrush meds