Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

CBC during ARS

Dear Dr. Feinberg,

Having read your posts...I know you dislike the CBC questions; however, hopefully you will indulge me. First, I'm going to be HIV tested, but I 've got a question regarding a recent CBC during a period of potential ARS. My WBC was 10.9,lymphs at 45, with a SED rate of 9. Would you expect a lower WBC and lymph number? Your thoughts...please? With deep gratitude.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't "dislike" the CBC questions-- the real problem with CBC results is that people like yourself are trying to get more information from this test than it can really give you. If you think you are at risk for HIV, the only way to settle that issue is to get an HIV test. Overinterpreting a CBC has little medical value.

Educated guess?
Herpes?