Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Nail biting + HIV = bad cocktail?

Hello, thanks for a great forum! I'm a HIV+ 28 years old male, I've never been ill (except from common flu) and I'm doing quite well on HAART (virus undetactable for 1.5 years and CD4's risen from 130 to 325). I've been biting my nails ever since I was a kid, but now I'm thinking of making an effort to stop, both for cosmetic reasons but more importantly because I am wondering whether nail biting poses a health risk (because of the germs that gets into the mouth)?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You don't need to worry about getting any serious infections from nail-biting. Occasionally nail-biters may get some redness and soreness near the nail if the skin there gets infected. Go with the motivation that it doesn't look very pretty, if you're determined to quit.

Feel like my body is seizing up with deep achiness/soreness
SHARING FOOD