Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Lump on skin, getting larger, I'm scared

I don't know if I posted this in the right forum, but I could not find one specifically for my question.

I tested + for HIV in Aug of '01. (I believe I was infected in Feb 01) Since Feb, when in the shower, I have felt a small bump near my anus. I paid no attention to it until now- both because of the HIV diagnosis and the fact that it has gotten larger. It looks no different than the rest of my skin, except that it hangs there. (Approx 1 1/2 inch away from the entrance to the anus) I can move it; it almost seems as if I could rip it off (I won't) There is NO pain or itching associated with this, and nobody that I've had sexual contact with has these things.

After being diagnosed, I had VL of 9,700 and Tcell of 613. I am not on any meds.

My next doctors appointment isn't until 10/25 (he is out of town until then) and I am worried about this to the point where I have made myself physically ill. Even when he gets back, I think I'll be too embarrassed to tell him about it. The past 2 months have been very difficult for me, and not knowing what this is is about to push me over the edge.

I know you cannot diagnose this without seeing it, but do you have any ideas? Is it an STD, cancerous growth, etc?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you for all that you do.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like this bump is probably a genital wart. These can be removed by several different means. They can recur, but there is a new topical medication that can be very useful in getting rid of warts when they are still small. If your 'bump' is indeed a wart, it may be too big for topical therapy at this point, but once it's removed you can use imiquimod (Aldara) for new small ones if they should develop. Relax-- warts aren't lovely, but they're not worth making yourself crazy over, and please, DO tell your doctor so you can get a definitive diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

HIV- and very sick with cmv.
RE: CBC count -Oct 7