Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Can my other child get infected

Dr. Feinberg, I have a daughter who is HIV+ and is very bitter about he infection. She wants to feel normal and does things that may be a problem. She had a bleeding fever blister on her lip and fed her daughter off her fork. I told her I thought this was not okay and she says her doctor says it is fine and she cant get HIV that way. Also she does not tell Men she is dating for several months that she is positive. Another concern is her treatment of her 12 year younger brother whom she has always been mean to. He is only 11 and now has heavy acne on his forehead and in his hair and scalp. Could this bee a sign of an infection from years ago. I really dont like saying negative things about my daughter, but I believe she is very careless with her HIV due to her bitterness over it. She has been positive for 8 years. My questions is actually what risk was her daughter in and are the signs of my son's young age and severe acne a possible symtom of infection?. None of my other 3 children had this type of acne. thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your son's acne is not a sign of HIV infection. I think the chance of your granddaughter catching HIV from her mother's fork is pretty small, even if there is some blood on it, unless she has sores in her mouth that would be a place for HIV to enter her bloodstream. Nonetheless, your daughter should be very careful about exposing others to her blood. Perhaps you can help guide her into counselling, so that she can deal with her anger and stop putting other people at potential risk of HIV infection. That's why this is an epidemic-- because HIV+ peole either don't know that have HIV or don't care and then expose others through their behavior. It's a big weight on one's soul to knowingly expose others-- I hope your daughter wakes up and spares herself that pain.

Kaposi's that large?
little itchy blisters, and nausea