Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

AIDS indicator condition vs. infection

I would like to know the difference between an AIDS indicator condition and an infection. I think the difference between the two is that a "condition" is the result of an exhausted immune system, such as losing weight, cold sweats, loss of appetite, diarrhea, etc. Whereas, an infection is distinguished by its process and effort to reproduce and/or survive. Am I close?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

An "AIDS indicator condition" is one that is on the Centers for Disease Control's list of diseases that occur when there is significant damage to the immune system from HIV, and means that the individual in question now has AIDS. The reason they are called "conditions" and not just "infections" is that not all of these medical problems are infections-- some are cancers or diseases fo the central nervous system. The way you tried to distinguish these things is incorrect.

Mycobacterium avium intracellulare
Kaposi Sarcoma looks like...