Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

White tongue

Dr. Feinberg,

I have noticed the back 1/3 of my tongue is white. I never really noticed it until I took an HIV test. While waiting for my results I spent a few days reviewing a list of HIV symptoms on the CDC's website and came across "whitish spots on the tongue". My ELISA was negative, yet I'm somewhat concerned by this. It doesn't scrape off and doesnt appear to be thrush. It simply looks whitish in color! Furthermore, I went for a dental appt and was told everything looked fine. What's the deal?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It's not thrush. Lots of people have coloration on their tongue-- it's normal.

quick question re: syphilis
burning pain on tip of penis after sex