Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

White tongue
Sep 27, 2001

Dr. Feinberg,

I have noticed the back 1/3 of my tongue is white. I never really noticed it until I took an HIV test. While waiting for my results I spent a few days reviewing a list of HIV symptoms on the CDC's website and came across "whitish spots on the tongue". My ELISA was negative, yet I'm somewhat concerned by this. It doesn't scrape off and doesnt appear to be thrush. It simply looks whitish in color! Furthermore, I went for a dental appt and was told everything looked fine. What's the deal?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It's not thrush. Lots of people have coloration on their tongue-- it's normal.

Previous
quick question re: syphilis
Next
burning pain on tip of penis after sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.