Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Gonnorhea & hiv - the conclusion?

Hi, i'm the guy who wrote a while back worried about my risk of hiv, due to my symptons despite my low risk exposure (receiving oral sex, in which i acquired gonorrhea).

I've now just been tested at 13 weeks and the result was -ve. I just wanted to say thanks for your help.

It still puzzles me what caused my symptons (mild fever, sore throat, diarrhea, nausea, dry mouth), they seemed very convincing. However, the lady at the GUM clinic advised me that their tests almost always show up within 8 weeks and that my test will be correct. I know some people take longer than 3 months, but i guess this is quite rare(?).

Anyway, at least i can relax at last - it got to the point that i was having heart pains due to the stress and didn't know what to worry about most - hiv or a heart attack!

My conclusion from all this: don't take any risks, no matter how small.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I'm glad your est was negative. And you're right about taking risks-- sorry you had to learn the hard way, but that's better than never learning at all.

congenital CMV
Superficial cubital nodes