Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

congenital CMV

My daughter was diagnosed w/congenital CMV & has had complications since birth from hearing loss to paralysis to developmental delays & also she was low birth weight 3lbs 14 oz & still continues to be very small. Is there a possibility that she could be further affected by this? Also, why was she diagnosed with CMV, but my daughter born after was not?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Congenital CMV is like an opportunistic infection because fetuses and newborns have very immature immune systems, so the CMV 'takes advantage' of them. There are a range of unfortunate outcomes than can occur with congenital CMV, some of which are ucually noticeable when the child is older, like hearing loss. Since I am not an expert in pediatric infectious diseases, I cannot tell you with certainty that you have already seen everything that's likely to occur as a result of the CMV, nor what the likelihood is of additional problems appearing now. You don't say how old your daughter is, but most effects of congenital CMV are diagnosed by age 4 or 5.

Your daughter 'got' the congenital CMV from you. You may not have had any symptoms at the time, but you probably picked up CMV infection during your pregnancy. The reason your younger daughter didn't get congenital CMV, is that by the time you were pregnant with her, your immune system had the CMV under control.

Blood work
Gonnorhea & hiv - the conclusion?