Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CMV and breast feeding
Sep 13, 2001

I had been tested +ve for IGG to CMV but -ve for IGM to CMV during my pregnancy (4th month. Again immediately after delivery I was tested +ve for IGG (with higher level level than previous one it increased from 57 to 71) to CMV but -ve for IGM to CMV. My child was also tested for CMV at the age 20 days and the result was the same as that of mine(ie, IGG +ve and IGM -ve). But my doc suggested that since the IGG level has increased the baby should not be breast fed. As there are chances of child getting infected with CMV What should I do? Can I breast feed my child? Is there any chance that my child would get CMV if I breast feed.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your blood tests indicate infection with CMV at some time in the past. Your baby has the same blood test pattern because infants can carry their mother's antibodies for up to 12-18 months after birth, so your baby's blood tests are just reflecting your blood tests. I don't think the difference in antibody level is significant, and see no reason why you can't breastfeed your baby.

Previous
ERYTHEMATOUS CANDIDIASIS
Next
HIV and Allergic reactions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.