|dry eyes/dry mouth - please comment!
Sep 10, 2001
I have been having problems with dry eyes and dry mouth over the past 6 months. Can I be confident it is not HIV related? It seems like dry eyes and dry mouth are commonly associated with HIV infection.
Response from Dr. Feinberg
You have Sjogren's syndrome (decreased tear and saliva production). The exact cause isn't known, but it is often associated with autoimmune diseases. Dry eyes and mouth are not commonly associated with HIV, and a negative HIV test after the window period is sufficient information.
If your family doctor isn't familiar with Sjogren's, then ask for a referral to an immunologist or a rheumatologist who will know what other tests should be performed in order to figure out what's going on.
will I ever be able to take a drug holiday
- Burning Urethra After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Coated Tongue After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Touching Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Trouble Urinating After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Alphabetical List Of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.